Monday, October 3, 2011

CASA 5K Race Report

OK, so most folks raced this one but not me.  I was more in a leisurely walk mode thanks to my not so fun piriformis issue that does not seem to want to go away.

This race was the Lexmark Women @ Work quarterly volunteer with an executive event.   Cathy I. picked the CASA 5K/10K as her volunteer organization & I volunteered to organize a run / walk group to train for either the 5K or 10K.  With help from the Runner's World & Hal Higdon websites along with the local Central Baptist run you first 5K plan we had 8 week walking, run/walk & running plans for both the 5K & 10K.  We had about 15 Lexmark'ers competing on race day. 

This also ended up being my 6th race for Team Aquaphor this season.   We still have 2 1/2 months left on the season but with how long this injury is taking to heal I am glad I was at least able to meet the race minimum commitment.

A cold front came through the day before the race so at 7AM it was down right cold!  I had to dig out my cold weather gear the night before & I am glad I did.

Around 7:50AM we took a Lexmark group picture.  There were a few more that raced but aren't in he picture below.  Sorry we missed you!
At 8AM the race started.  Joy & I walked the 5K.  Like I said it was pretty leisurely yet I could feel that nagging injury with every step I took.   *sigh*  We did manage to come in about a minute before Steve.  Oh never mind that he went twice the distance!

A few people in our group were running their first 5K.  At least 3 folks won age group awards.  One of the first time runners even placed in her age group!   Cathy, our executive, also placed in her age group!  Let the running addiction begin! 

Overall, this was a great success!

My 5K Walk Time = 47m22s
Steve's 10K Run Time = 48m55s

CASA of Lexington is this quarters Good Karma non profit of choice.  What is CASA?  From their website, the CASA mission is to provide the child victim of abuse or neglect with a trained, supervised volunteer who will advocate for the child's best interest.

The CASA 5K/10K is one of their annual fundraisers.  If you would like to make a tax deductible donation to CASA please go HERE.

Learn more about CASA of Lexington HERE 

1 comment:

  1. It was freezing out this weekend. Glad you were able to at least get that 6th race in with them. Hopefully you will feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...