Saturday, March 7, 2015

Spring Fast Forward

The last 5 weeks have been a a bit of a drag and to say I am looking forward to Spring would be an understatement.

Since March is Colorectal Cancer Awareness Month I figured now is as good of a time as any to share that my husband was diagnosed with rectal cancer last October.  They found 2 polyps during a colonoscopy & one of them was cancerous.  He had a couple of MRIs and they determined the cancer had not yet spread to the lymph nodes.  In order to know for certain the cancer wasn't in the microscopic stage & undetectable by any blood test or MRI/PET/CT scan he had to have his rectum removed.

He had his surgery on February 4th.   We found out a week later that the cancer didn't spread (YAY!!) but he has had a rough recovery.  Part of the surgery included a temporary ileostomy to let the internal surgery site heal.  It has taken some time for his digestive system to adjust and he is finally starting to feel better.  He goes back to the surgeon on March 12th should be able to schedule his reversal which should be end of April / early May.

The moral of the story - Get a colonoscopy!  Start at 50 if no family history or earlier if you have a family history.  My Dad had colon cancer in his late 40's so they started me in my mid-30's.  I have had two now & let me tell ya a colonoscopy is way easier than what Steve is currently going through!

On top of this we have had a crazy winter in Lexington.  It actually was good until mid-February and then all hell broke loose.  In the last 3 weeks we have had two 12+ inch snow storms.

February 16th Snow Storm
Driving to the Pharmacy
Later had to take Steve to ER
February 16th Snow Storm - 12 inches
February 16th Snow Storm
I did like the Igloo Icon
Arboretum - This weather has made training miserable

Last week we had a high of 61F on Tuesday, ~2 inches of rain on Wednesday, 17" inches of snow (official Lexington total) on Thursday and a low of -2F on Friday.   Lexington is just not equipped to handle this type of weather.  

March 5th Snow Storm - 12 Inches at our House
March 5th Snow Storm

Thankfully, the 10 day forecast has several 50F+ days.  Combined with the time change I am hoping to get my training back on track.

I will end this post with some Sammie snuggle pictures because they always put a smile on my face.





No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...